1 Selected Response
1. Open https://join.quizizz.com in your browser
2. Enter the 6-digit game code 512997 and click “Proceed”
3. Now enter your name and click “Join Game!”
4. You will get an avatar, and then see a “Start Game” button. Click it to begin!
2 Constructed Response (answer two of the following questions)
- Tanisha Scott says, “My heart beats like a talking drum.” What type of figurative language is used. How do you know?
- Leslie Lucas says, “We dip into a pool of tears.” What type of figurative language is used. How do you know?
- On page 53, Leslie says that Amy seems to be happy by herself. Then on page 104, we learn that Amy wishes she had a friend. This is an example of irony. What kind of irony is being expressed?
dramatic irony, when the reader or audience member is aware of something that the characters are not aware of;
situational irony, when something happens that is the reverse of what you expected; and
verbal irony, when the name or description of something implies the opposite of the truth (for example, calling a very tall person “Tiny”).
- Characterize or describe Sterling “Sampson” Hughes. How is he different than some of his classmates.
- How is the box used as a symbol in Devon’s life?
3 Extended Constructed Response
You are having a birthday party and need to invite three characters from Bronx Masquerade to the gathering. Which characters would you choose? Why?